Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Right KIND of Bullshit

I myself, not another, would like to distinctly, with powerful words, proclaim my favor and respect towards this, the Cool Thingamujig Of The Day.

What could this, "this" be that merits such a vast level of respect and favor as "this"?

Well, "this" is perhaps the greatest essay I have read in any recent span of time. "This", give me hope that I will, in fact, distinctly enjoy my time spent in my English class, wherein we study what has historically been my worst subject, namely English.

"This" essay is an essay on academic bullshit, or "bull", as the author somewhat more kindly refers to it as. The basic premise being that "bullshitting" you way through a conceptual topic is superior to the churned out lists of facts that persons often present. The reason being that this(simply this, not "this" this) "bull" displays a greater amount of real understanding of the important concept at heart. Therefore, those C grade lists of facts are inferior to those large streams of structured, long winded, and overly "wordy"(it's a technical term) papers that are often failed(assuming the teacher is smart enough to catch the attempted bullshittery). However, neither of these sole components should merit a high grade. The reality is that the intertwined relationship of the two requires both of them in order to achieve a highly marked paper. The bullshit also merits a fail, however, it's a slightly more valuable failure. Since it at least demonstrates that some amount of value was gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment