Friday, January 9, 2009

Dissapointing Oversight Of Greatness

There exists inside of me some component, this component's purpose seems to be largely to ensure that I am ecstatic over references to old things.

In this case, it propels me to absolutely love the Thingamujig Of The Day™, which contains various likenesses and direct plugs to what is likely the most famous scene from 2001, A Space Odyssey, this scene being the one of the primates and the mysterious black monolith, set to "Also Sprach Zarathustra"(So Spake Zarathustra).

Aside from the glee inducing references, Jason Figliozzi does a fine job in animating his very well designed character in his epic struggle against the mysterious black slab in order to acquire his meal.

One particular detail I feel is very noteworthy is the pulling back of various vertices in many of the motions. This results in a very pleasing snap to his animation.

My dissapointment arises in the fact that there were others in his same year who were merited much more highly than Jason, though I personally feel that his animation skills were proven in his thesis to be distinctly superior than most, if not all, of his peers. I suspect their projects were more appreciated due to their greater abundance of that infamous thing that all seek endlessly, better known by the simple word "stuff".

Regardless, I aspire to reach(and of course, hopefully surpass) his impressive level of skill, and wish him the best of luck in his work as a character animator(I understand that he is now employed at Sony Imageworks).

So, without further ado, I present to you, this fine evening, our Thingamujig Of The Day

No comments:

Post a Comment